Speaker match

Wanted to build a small budget system using my NAD 3020 amp that has 20 watts.Wanted a speaker with 90db or better to use with this amp and have read good things about Rega RS1, Tekton Mini Lore ,Decware as well as other speakers in the $1000 or less price range.Any thoughts on these or any others you would recommend?Thanks.
john421

Showing 6 responses by zd542

For me, the best speaker I've heard under $1000 is the Vandersteen Model 1c. I must have put them next to at least 25 pairs of speakers under 2k and they beat every one. Your amp will have no problem driving them. If you don't have a local dealer, post and I can recommend a couple of good places.
"Just wanted to keep the NAD in good shape being so old and not damage it..That is why I was thinking a more efficient speaker."

I wouldn't use that as my primary motivation in seeking out new speakers. As long as you are not doing anything extreme like blasting music at very high levels, I wouldn't worry about hurting the amp.

As far as the choices you list in your first post goes, its not that one is better than the other. Its whatever speaker you like the best. They're all good speakers, you just have to like them.
"Since your NAD 3020 has (IIRC) pre-out/power in connections'

I'm pretty sure that the 3020 doesn't have that feature.
Thanks.

Actually, I put my Model 1's next to my Magnepan 1.7's, witch are a big step up from the MMG's, and they beat those as well. Keep in mind, though, that's just my opinion. It would be a good idea for you to verify anything you decide to buy yourself. Personal taste can vary quite a bit.