Speaker match for Plinius 8200 Mk II

Any recommendations for speakers that sound good with the Plinius 8200 Mk II integrated amp? I'm wanting a full-range, three-way speaker pair in the $4000-$5000 (retail) price range. I want something that weighs in at less than 100 pounds (45 kilos). I'm looking for a straight forward, sealed box design - no ported boxes and nothing such as electrostatics, etc.

Speaker cable recommendations to go with the speaker recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

Don
hessong

Showing 1 response by calloway

don..if used speakers are not out of the question i would vote for either a used pair of piega p-8 ltds or,if your room is large enough,a pair of used p-10s.the 8s' you could probably get for about $5k and a little bit more for the 10s'.they weigh in at about 70 lbs and 90 lbs respectively.they combine ribbon mids and tweeters with vifa woofers and are superb speakers.i have p-10s that i think are one of the best speakers i have ever heard.jonathan valin,in a review he did in june '01 said they were 'one of only 3 affordable reference speakers he would own'.the ribbons and vifas' integrate seamlessly.they image unbelievably,are very transparent and the mids and highs are to die for.as for speaker cables to go with them i use hms gran finales' that i think are the most musical cables i have heard. i sold my valhallas' for them.in my system...goldmund mimesis 29m amp,audio tekne 'simona' preamp and piega p-10 speakers they are better then the valhallas' good luck...calloway