Speaker Ideas upto $2500

I've finally decided to jump into the audiophile areana after lurking here for a while and I was looking for speakers that would go well with an integrated amp like the bel canto s300iu. I'm willing to buy used gear as it would save me a significant chunk. So I was looking at Zu Druids but I've seen quite a number of comments implying that I can do better for the price these days, so I am looking for suggestions. I listen to a wide variety of music (a little of everything except country) so I don't want to get a speaker that excels in only just one genre. I'm not going to comment on the room dimensions/properties because I expect to be moving by next year. Oh and I would like subwoofer recommendations for the speakers that people suggest if that's possible.
hapaknack

Showing 2 responses by dcrugby

FOR MY MONEY (emphasized so no one yells at me), the best bang for the buck speakers i've heard are paradigms, particularly the studio series. they're not particularly WAF-fy (wife acceptance factor), but they sound awesome in a lot of systems and rooms.

you might be very happy with a pair of studio 60s (around $1000 used, forget how much new) and it's very possible you could feel that you don't need a sub (i believe they go down to 29). i haven't heard a speaker that retails for less than 4k that i prefer to them, but, as always, you may dislike them intensely, who knows.

or you could always go mental and get a pair of studio 100s and a sub. or two subs. then your neighbors could enjoy your system with you.

as far as subs go, i'm a big fan of REL.
ooo, yeah, i agree with dave b, if you could ever audition a pair of magnepan 1.6, that would be great.

or if you can find a used pair of martin logan vistas, that would be worth looking into as well. i own the summits, and while there are speakers that do things more... well, for lack of a better word - "correctly", i couldn't get away from how much i loved the airiness of the sound. maggie 1.6s are great at that as well. they have two enemies, however: cats and spouses. as it turns out, i have a full house of magnepan enemies.

still think paradigms are the best bang for the buck, though, and they're idiotproof. i've had/heard many speakers that take a bit to get them to sounding good, but paradigms sound good in most set-ups.

keep us updated on your choices!