Speaker Ideas upto $2500

I've finally decided to jump into the audiophile areana after lurking here for a while and I was looking for speakers that would go well with an integrated amp like the bel canto s300iu. I'm willing to buy used gear as it would save me a significant chunk. So I was looking at Zu Druids but I've seen quite a number of comments implying that I can do better for the price these days, so I am looking for suggestions. I listen to a wide variety of music (a little of everything except country) so I don't want to get a speaker that excels in only just one genre. I'm not going to comment on the room dimensions/properties because I expect to be moving by next year. Oh and I would like subwoofer recommendations for the speakers that people suggest if that's possible.
hapaknack

Showing 3 responses by br3098

Bzzzzz (buzzer sound)

Wrong answer - all of 'em. These threads continually crack me up. We can't and shouldn't tell you what you should buy. Only your ears can do that. All you are going to get from us is what WE like, and that might be a far cry from what rings your bell. How many folks read the 'gon? Thousands, tens of thousands? How many of us have the same speakers? Even if we limit the question to folks who respond to your question I doubt that you will have more than two guys who recommend the same product.

I don't know your equipment, I don't know your room, but I do know that you almost certainly hear differently than me. There is no substitution for listening to everything you can at all of the local (or not so local) dealers' and then trying out the speakers you like in your own room, with your own gear and your own listening chair and... you get the picture.

I especially like the guy who wrote "...and anyone who doesnt think a used Focus 20/20 isnt the best speaker or value under $2500 has lost there mind." Well, I've listened extensively to them, and I think that they are nice speakers, but the best? I don't think so, but that's my opinion.

I have a friend who just bought a set of Spendor S8e speakers. He is astoundingly insistent that these are the best speakers that he has ever heard. Me, not so much. But he doesn't care for my Apogees (although he is too polite to say so).

So what's the point? You can either:
1- do the work, find out for yourself what works for you and live in audio bliss (at least for a while), or
2- take someone else's advice, and take a chance that you will fundamentally agree on something for which there is usually no universal agreement, or
3- buy a good set of used speakers for a god price. Any speakers. If you don't like them, sell them and buy something else. If you shop carefully you probably will probably not lose much (you might actually get lucky and make a few bucks to cover shipping).

This is the fun part of our hobby (or obsession, as my wife kindly labels it). Enjoy
Tvad,

I understand your points, and I did not mean to come off as negative or dismissive. But I sure that you will agree that of all the collective parts involved an audio system, speakers are the hardest to blindly recommend and make any assumptions regarding how they will actually sound to the individual audiophile.

Unlike (or more than) other components, speakers are "alive" in the sense that they interact with the room, the other gear, the music and the listener. I can understand and appreciate that Hapaknack is looking for suggestions, but in my opinion there are simply too many variables in the slection process for a speaker to allow any of us to provide the guy with any really useful information that will provide an accurate idea how any of our recommendations will actualy sound in his environment.

And if we can't do that, what's the point? It seems to me that, if we are providing a random sampling of opinion, any starting point is as good as any other. The guy might as well pick up a copy of Audio Advisor or look on stereophile.com.
Folks,

I apologize if my earlier posts caused any distress. I guess I over-reacted to a post by one of the contributors. I realize now that I probably should have posted my message in another section.

Hapaknack, good luck with your search. There are a lot of good people here with a lot of good advice.