Speaker Hiss with Krell Amp

Hi,

I have an in home audition with a Krell Evolution 302 and there is a hiss coming from the speakers. This did not occur with in home auditions of Hegel H20, Proceed HPA 2, Levinson 533, or Pass X350 amps.

The Krell is the only one of the tested amps that required a 20 amp cord. All of the amps were run on a 15 amp dedicated circuit. Speakers Are Thiel CS 5's with a Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Preamp.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Thanks,

Scott

dsper

Showing 1 response by ct0517

Dsper
I also know that there are not connectors between the XLR pins so Almarg could have this right.
The hiss is audible about three feet away.

Hi Dsper - this is from Krell.

On krell amps the shorting pins usually get installed into pins 1 and 3. If these shorting pins are installed between pins “2 and 3” this will result in no output from the channel in question. It’s 50/50 as to whether or not a system being operated in single ended mode (RCA) will have noise present without the shorting pins installed.

FYI: When we initially began shipping amplifiers with actual balanced (XLR) inputs in maybe March or April of 1988, we did not use shorting pins. It was not until a few months later after we swapped out or replaced a few new amplifiers for “noise problems” that we learned of this. Hence the appearance of shorting pins in the balanced (XLR) inputs on all Krell amplifiers that had balanced inputs, beginning about mid way through 1988. The only balanced amplifiers we did not install shorting pins on are the FPB “cx” series because that had only CAST and XLR inputs, no RCA inputs.

So I would get some shorting pins first before you continue with the audition. Makes one wonder how many other Krells are being run with RCA’s and no shorting pins.

IME - Krell is a challenge to get setup with RCA’s. You need to be anal with your grounding and cables placement. Krell is very sensitive to hum. It is using really high current even on idle, which translates to more hum if there is some kind of ground imbalance existing. Different manufacturers use different grounding schemes. This contributes to the problem. That’s why removing a chassis ground on some equipment fixes ground loops. A temporary fix.

Unsound
IME, most Krells seem to work best when used in balanced configuration, though I can’t really comment on Krell’s CAST usage.

Unsound, IME True for reasons stated above. Most audiophiles/music lovers I know in general, are lazy - including moi. Even if one is very careful with grounding and cables placement initially; all it takes is an errant placement of an interconnect later, going unnoticed, to maybe cause a problem. You need to be remain anal about grounding and cables placement to run a high current Krell Single Ended.

dsper - very interested to hear about how this plays out, if you choose to get the shorting pins and continue your audition.

Cheers