Speaker Help for 2000 to 3000

I have an 18 X 24 room, vaulted ceiling, hardwood floors. Mcintosh MA6900 Int and a Rega Planet CD Player. I'm looking for speakers which if set up right will give me a wide soundstage, good bass impact, and be detailed. I am thinking about new PSB Goldi, or used B&W 802 series 3 or Thiel 3.6s Any other suggestions for the money? Thanks! PS my music is mostly classic Rock and my Wife likes Country.
audiobeer

Showing 1 response by aball

I had B&W Nautilus 804s (802s briefly too) and got rid of them when I discovered the Paradigm Reference Studio 100s. They run much cheaper than the Nautilus line but sound so much smoother and laid back - more musical and less shrill (especially the highs). The detail and soundstaging is at least as good as its more expenisve competition. I won't go back to B&Ws now although I used to swear by them. I am going to get some Studio 60s for the rear when I get to home theater. I had Vandersteen 2ce before B&W and they were very nice too although I find slightly less detailed/clear in general. But like I said, the Paradigm 100s are to die for and at $2000, I dont have to! I use(d) various McIntosh, Crown, McCormack, and Proceed amps (although I like my McIntoshes the best by a good margin :). Best is just to listen to them before paying. PS, I would love to get my hands on an MA6900!