Speaker decision $3000-3500...help

I have been around auditioning speakers around the $3000-3500 mark.

I am looking for speakers that are musical, open, dynamic with a hint of warmth!
I listen to Soft Rock, Pop and some House/Dance music.
Mostly multi-track and digitally amplified stuff.

I have auditioned PSB, B&W, GoldenEar and Amphions.
I was most pleased with Amphion Helium 520s, since they are very engaging and natural sounding. Jack of all trades.

If you think there are other speakers for my preferences in the price range of 3000-3500, please guide me, i will audition them as well.

Otherwise i will pull the trigger on the Amphions and will need suggestions for Amplification for them. Budget would be $1500.

Please, any advice either on speakers or amplification would be appreciated.
Thanks.
adurlabhji

Showing 6 responses by mjmch2003

Bo, what power rating amp would you suggest with the GX200...?

I'm curious about the ribbon tweeters impact on the choice of amp.

Class D amps? 50-60 watts?
What's an amp that's not as large as Pass that works well...? (other than Primare)
Update: I bought a pair of MA GX200 and I'm pairing them
with my Bel Canto c5i.

Impression 5 hours into listing:

1. I've unplugged my subwoofer. No need.
2. Holy cow, the resolution is nuts; depth is pretty good
for being 10 inches from the real wall (I'm space
constrained, unfortunately)
3. These are some good looking speakers-wife likes 'em
4. I have owned both Pathos and Pass,and I can see where Bo
is coming from. The Pass would flesh these guys out a bit,
the Pathos would make them disappear completely.
I "get" what Bo is saying that he "sells a sound."

That's a pretty unique approach. I can't say I've been to a retailer who approaches audio that way.

My GX200's have broken in a bit and I can see where some folks would find them tipped-up. Compared to the Vienna Acoustics speakers that preceded them, absolutely. However, the GX200 has an incredible mid-range that blends really well with the woofer. Add in the ribbon tweeter and I agree that these guys disappear and seem to create space behind themselves. The highs are way extended, and some folks might not like this. My wife likes this feature because she can listen at relatively low levels and still experience great sound.

I can also see that, because the GX200 are revealing, a really good DAC or source would be with the cash.