Speaker cone material pro's and con's

Are any of you aware of well-written general discussions of the pro's and cons of various speaker cone materials, for example, paper cone, metal cone (and various metals), polypropylene, ceramic, Mylar, etc.? I am not interested in propaganda for various technologies found on speaker manufacturer websites or opinions offered by audiophiles based upon something they read in an audio magazine, but rather, seek a good, general discussion that is written by a person qualified to speak to such issues (e.g., an engineer or physicist) and that is accessible to a reasonably technology-savvy layman.

I understand that the implementation of a particular cone material is crucial to performance and that it is thus difficult to discuss materials in a vacuum (e.g., how a cone's vibrational mode is dealt with dramatically affects performance), but a good discussion would presumably assume certain standard implementations and still arrive at conclusions.

Any links or recommended readings? Again, I am not looking for audio forum blather derived, for example, from someone's trip to Wilson or (mis)understanding of something written in TAS, but the serious observations of qualified authors.

Thanks in advance.
dearing
Gregm...Is my lighthearted mention of walking on water considered polemic? Sorry about that. Although I have most of the credentials that Dearing was looking for I find it a bit overbearing to suggest that only people with this sort of academic credentials are worthy of respect.
Greg I understand where JTgofish is comming from. Look at B&W, they pump their Kevlar material as being something really special and unique, Which it is, and the give it a yellow color for added eye catching feature. Good and fine. But how is the other construction, the internal mechanics of the driver, voicing the lower midrange fq's. Personally its not my cup of tea on my JADIS ORCH REFER, a amp well known for its purity on midrange. I bought the 602's cause the wife got sucked in by the salesman.
I had paper cones in the 70's and my speaker for 20 yrs was a pair of philips 2 ways, served me fine in the bass until I came across my currect speaker. I know all sorts of poly cones over the past 30+ yrs, not a one I like.
The only material that i came across that competes with my currect sopeakers magniesum material was the Cabasse with its white foam material. But the Excel has the Cabasse beat in the bass and also the internal voicing from the "motor" of the lower midrange fq's.
So Jtgofish is right, some labs will come out with a marketing ploy to try to convince you "our new spaceage materail is something unique and like nothing you ever heard in your life". Gimmicks are a part of this trade. Cone material is only one part of the speaker, how all the other parts come together give the driver its particular voicing, its nuances and "flavor". Someone mentioned the old cliche "no driver is perfect sound" well obviously we all know that a live orchestra/jazz band is one thing, our speakers will have limitations. But we strive to get as close to original as possible. Some are closer, others are further away. Some like thise music to sound one way, others another. I've beenb seeking 30 yrs for what I hear in the Excel. Others prefer Vandersteen's sound. And so on....
"I have most of the credentials that Dearing was looking for I find it a bit overbearing to suggest that only people with this sort of academic credentials are worthy of respect."

I am well aware of your posts and find them uniformly helpful. I was specific in requesting only references to materials written by qualified people because Audiogon, like other unpoliced public forums, is full of yahoos offering uninformed opinions and other ramblings, which I am not interested in.

Thank you to those who read and thought about my thread, and attempted to respond.
I second Duke's suggestion! You should definitely get an AES subscription!! (Cone materials are often about balancing of different compromises)

Not everything published in AES is perfect nor is it easily digested. Well worth it for those who seek closer to the truth.

I would expect many Agoner's are AES members, after all, they have an interest in the technology of audio reproduction and the membership dues are modest compared to most high end gear. Think of the advantage of being an informed buyer!