Speaker cables.. Budget again.. With a twist...

Hi..
I have already broken the bank on my system, Plinius 8200 int. amp, Marantz CD 6000OSE, Vandersteen 1c.. I guess I may use zip wire from Home Depot.. The problem...(the twist) is that I need to run one length 35 feet or so.. The other length will be maybe 20 feet.. No other way around it.. Plus I I cant really spend much more that $125 $150 max... What is my best option..? Zip wire? Or can I somehow "make my own" cable.. I am willing to buy all the parts and solder it up.. DREW
thefish2

Showing 4 responses by rodman99999

Obviously a degree in engineering(of any kind) does nothing for one's auditory perception. If I couldn't hear the difference (in sound stage width/depth, imaging, transparency, dynamics) between my Wireworld Eclipse cables and Home Depot extension cords- I'd sell my equipment, buy an old Pioneer rig and subscribe to Stereo Review. I'm certain everything still sounds the same to them, even though old, deaf Julian is gone. I've often wished I were as hearing impaired as others appear to be. That would leave a lot of cash for other pursuits.(Gee, was all that inflammatory?) Considering your budget: The HD wire should do you justice as long as you get the heaviest gauge available, and keep the lengths equal. You might try using the ground wire to double the gauge of your + conductor(can't hurt). As mentioned: Don't coil any excess, or you just created an inductor. With the HD wire, you can still afford some good terminations.
You'll notice that the scientific term for our understanding of electricity is "theory". There are understandings that we have in science that are termed, "law"(IE: 1st and 2nd "laws" of Thermodynamics, The "law" of Universal Gravitation) In Science, when something is proven by The Scientific Process(or "method"): First a "hypothesis"(or "theory") is put forth. Then it is proven(or not) by repeated experiments. If the phenomenon can be (1) repeated, (2) observed, and (3) recorded: It is then considered a "Law or Scientific Fact." when testing an hypothesis or a theory, the scientist may have a preference for one outcome or another, and it is important that this preference not bias the results or their interpretation. A most fundamental error is to mistake the hypothesis for an explanation of a phenomenon, without performing experimental tests. Sometimes "common sense" and "logic" tempt us into believing that no test is needed. At any rate: Electrical or Electron Theory is still just that. The theories that have been put forth concerning electron flow can hardly been observed at the Quantum level at this point in time, thus they are not observable. Some experiments have been conducted of course but nothing to date is set in concrete. In fact: The theories are still constantly in a state of "flux." Read this article(from 1962), and then see if you can find something since that "proves" anything about electron flow: (http://www.philsoc.org/1962Spring/1526transcript.html) Note the summation states: "It is possible and in fact likely that some basic new principles and ideas will have to be added to what will be left of standard quantum field theory in order to provide for a complete and consistent description of electromagnetic interaction, and, in particular, of the electron. The future will tell which of these various conjectures are valid. If, nineteen years from now, the fiftieth Joseph Henry Lecturer should again discuss the theory of the electron, the chances are good that he will know the answer to many of these questions." That there are so very many that can indeed HEAR the improvements that various cables, interconnects, etc. make in our systems can be considered "Empirical Evidence", and (without proof that there are Quantum Laws that control those improvements that they make) enjoy the resultant music!
That we can measure amperage, impedance(or resistance), and capacitance is not in question. A music signal is much more complex than the AC current that it takes to light your light bulb, containing a plethora of frequencies, harmonics, ambiance and timbre cues, etc. Much experimentation has gone into the dielectrics, conductors(OFC, solid silver), and configurations(Litz, spirals, etc) chosen by some of the better cable/interconnect companies over the years, and the fruits of their labors are greatly appreciated by those of us that have taken the time to audition and use them. That some have chosen not to, doesn't surprise me in the least. If everyone chose to follow those Pie-Eyed Pipers of everything-sounds-the-same/there's-no-difference/don't-bother-trying: We might still be listening to a conch shell held up to the ear. Probably not two for stereo, because that would have been discouraged also
I could care less, but- It wouldn't be easy! It seems I've entered into a battle of wits with a number of un-armed individuals. Enjoy yourselves!!