Speaker cable suggestions for B&W 800 Diamond

Hi all,

I would like to replace my old cables that I used for my 802D.

in 2 weeks the new 800 Diamonds will arrive.

need the best and chip cables.

some one told me to use the Kimber TC8 or TC12 I need at list 20M.

Thanks for the Suggestions

Uri
juniortabak

Showing 1 response by almarg

Using a 20 meter length of speaker cable, especially in conjunction with a speaker whose impedance reaches low values at some frequencies (3.1 ohms in this case, as indicated under the specifications link here, requires that basic electrical parameters (resistance, inductance, capacitance) be carefully considered. All of those parameters are directly proportional to length.

I second Elizabeth's recommendation to avoid the 8TC. For a 20 meter length, its resistance is marginal at best, and would exceed B&W's 0.1 ohm recommendation for maximum cable impedance by nearly 50%.

On the other hand the 12TC may not be suitable either, depending on the characteristics of the amplifier you are using. It's capacitance per unit length is on the high side, being specified as 1400 pf per 2.5 meters. That would amount to 11,200 pf for 20 meters. That is high enough to potentially affect the sonic performance of the amplifier, and is in an area that has even been known to cause some amplifiers to oscillate and self-destruct.

Obviously, at that length cost and budget are major factors as well. I have no specific suggestions to offer, but I would avoid cables for which specifications of resistance, capacitance, and inductance are not indicated by the manufacturer, and cannot be obtained from them via an inquiry.

When you arrive at a preliminary selection, you may want to post back in this thread with an indication of its electrical parameters, so that we can comment on them specifically.

Regards,
-- Al