SP10mk2: OMA Graphite plinth vs.Dobbins plinth

According to the price lists they are in one category, but anyone could comment on quality/performance? At the moment i use big Teak Wood plinth (just $750) custom made in Taiwan for my SP10mk2. Looking for upgrade in the future. I use my sp10mk2 with Reed "12 tonearm now. Doest the plinth actually makes a big difference in sound? My stand is well damped with glass, metal and sarbothane in between.

1) Oswald Mill Audio graphite slate plinth (single layer) $2750, double layer looks fantastic but cost $3500

2) Steve Dobbins famous custom plinth cost $2650 including three Stillpoints feet and automotive show quality paint in black or white. Design has changed many times, still hard to find any current plinth picture online.

I know there are Albert Porter's and Artisan Fidelity quality plinth available, but i don't like the design (i mean just how it looks) for SP10.
128x128chakster

Showing 4 responses by jb0194

Chakster,

My Acoustand SP10 MK2 plinth should be finished this week. My SP-10 is out to Bill Thalmann for routine tuneup, so I'll likely not hear it in the new plinth until November. I'll try to remember to post my impressions .
Yes, Chakster, I'm getting the "Obsidian Inspired" plinth in satin black/medium oak veneer. I customized with adjustable black Delrin feet (from a UK mfr near Acoustand) that raise the plinth about 2cm higher than the sorbothane feet pictured on the Acoustand website. I'm trading off a bit of the sleek, "low rider" look with the stock feet for ease of leveling. Just had the SP10 painted in black automotive paint. We'll see if it all comes together well! Bill Thalmann is also adding the Krebs Upgrade and installing a new bearing thrust pad. Experts like Bill may not be doing comprehensive SP10 work in the coming years, so I opted to address electronics and motor/bearing in a single shop visit. My PSU is a Dave Cawley "Timestep", so I'm set there.
I've received my "Obsidian Inspired" plinth. I had Acoustand install "type 1 black delrin height adjustable feet" from Ebay UK seller "kridon-image". The plinth has the simple look I was after. The black delrin feet blend nicely. Both plinth and feet are very well-crafted. The black painted wood requires care to prevent scratches. The plinth is lighter than I expected, but will sit on a very heavy Myrtlewood platform. My SP10 is on its way to Applied Fidelity for updraded sapphire bearing installation, with servicing and Krebs upgrade just added by Bill Thallman.I may have the table back for Christmas and will report on how it sounds once it is put back together.