Soundtracks that you listen all the way through and it's all great.

Hey! sometimes the soundtrack is so good that you don't care about the movie anymore. The music behind soundtracks can be compilation of various artists rock, jazz or mixed styles or created by one composer. Electronic music soundtracks, orchestral neo-classical and other styles I will list my favorites here in this discussion:

1. Gladiator -- an awesome neo-classical movie score with voice of Lisa Gerrard on double-CD. near 2 hours of pure joyful music uninterrupted by movie. At the same time the role of Commodus was brilliant as well as Lucilla

2. Shining -- great movie and state of the art soundtrack done by Wendy Carlos.

3. Dark City -- great electronic score by Trevor Jones

4. Pulp Fiction -- various

5. Kill Bill
czarivey
And..
A Man and a Woman (1966, Claud Lelouch)
The Last Adventure (1967 with Alain Delon and Lino Ventura)
The Professional (1981, with Jean-Paul Belmondo)

All French, of course.
"Magical Mystery Tour"
"A Hard Day’s Night"
"Saturday Night Fever"
"Help"
"The Rose"
"The Kids are Alright"
"The Song Remains The Same"
Plenty out there on CD...

Under Fire (’83, Jerry Goldsmith, w/ Pat Metheny on guitar)(this entire film soundtrack was specially conceived by Goldsmith to be listened to straight through as you would any album).

The Carey Treatment (’72, Roy Budd...FSM edition also includes sndtr for ’78’s Coma - Goldsmith, and Fred Karlin’s ’73 score of Westworld, both of which may be more uneven).

The Taking Of Pelham 123 (’74, David Shire).

Tora! Tora! Tora! (’70, Goldsmith)

Planet Of The Apes (’69, Goldsmith...brilliant use of various ambulatory rhythms throughout)(a suite from Escape From The POTA at the end of the disc is a nice inclusion).

Bullitt (’68, Lalo Schiffrin....FSM version uses both the soundtrack album And the film soundtrack on one disc, but Schiffrin works differing magic on each and it results in Zero sense of redundancy, very nice).

The Gauntlet (’78, Jerry Fielding...only 33 minutes on the disc, but man, not a note wasted).

Edward Scissorhands (’90, Danny Elfman...the separate soundtrack Album edition would be the one you want, the expanded original film version, while interesting, offers little in the way of musical flow).

In fact, that can be said of more than a few soundtrack album versions of some big movies, some of which can be found packaged together as a separate disc in the 2, or 3, disc expanded versions...they usually are remastered for the better, as well. Like:

Conan The Barbarian (’82, Basil Poledouris, 3-disc, Intrada)

Star Trek The Motion Picture (’79, Goldsmith...3-disc La-La Land version....the last 9 tracks on disc 2 are the sndtr album).

Other titles:

Good Night And Good Luck (’05, Dianne Reeves).

Journey Through The Secret Life Of Plants (’79, Stevie Wonder...this was Sony Music’s first digital recording).

Trinity And Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie (’01, William Stromberg).

Citta Violenta (AKA: The Family) (’70, Ennio Morricone...only one or two musical themes, but rewoven every time and ranging in widely varying moods).

Charade (’64, Henry Mancini...the BMG version I have is in stereo).

Rio Conchos (and special track: The Artist Who Did Not Want To Paint) (Goldsmith)(an ’84 rerecording by Goldsmith that is better than his original, I would say).

Ice Station Zebra is interesting, as well. (’68, Michel Legrand).

...and I’ll +3 on just about anything Herrmann.

Forgot to mention the Beatles' Love Album ('06, George Martin and his son, Giles...this is a re-editing of the original track elements and a re-imagining of representative works of the Beatles' career on a single disc. It was not a film soundtrack, but one for the live Cirque du Soleil show. Saw that one in Vegas one year and it was great, as is the CD).
"Jaws," particularly the Intrada edition. Probably my favorite non-rock soundtrack of all time.