Soundsmith Straingauge SG-200 cartridge system

Hi everyone, haven't heard much discussion of this one in a while. I'm just starting to run a direct rim drive Trans Fi Salvation tt sporting a Trans Fi Terminator air bearing linear tracking arm. It's a total game changer imho, but I fear the Zu modded Denon 103 cart on it, excellent as it is, may have performance bettered by something more SOTA. I'm looking for something to match the tt/arm's neutrality, solidity and eveness, and am drawn to the Straingauge. Reviews praise it's speed and naturalness, but some comments are more guarded commenting on tonal thinness, edginess and overanalytic quality.
If it helps I hate over sharp carts like Lyra Skala, are more comfortable with neutral carts like the Transfiguration Orpheus, and feel the humble Zu 103 is a giant killer in the rhythmn/timing/involvment stakes.
So comments please from those who have experience of the Straingauge, thank you.
spiritofmusic

Showing 1 response by arran

I have the Soundsmith SG-200 and I like it. While I don't think I am qualified to review it, in general I would say that my experience agrees with Michael Fremers -- which I would paraphrase as follows.

Less "romantic" than many moving magnet/moving coil cartridges but without their frequency response anomalies (e.g., rising top end). Very fast, clean sound; kind of like the differences between McIntosh tube amps (fast, clean) and other tube amps that are very good but which are "warmer" and not as neutral. The strain gauge has many of the advantages of the best digital sources but without the almost inevitable digital artifacts.

I really like the strain gauge and will keep it in my system for a long time to come.

Regards, James