Sound Stop by Celotex - Anyone Familiar?????

I'm currently doing the electric in my dedicated room and trying to decide what I want on the walls. The more info I get, the more confused I become. I'm to the nuthin fancy point and just want it done. My drywaller mentioned something called Sound Stop by Celotex. Looks like what the doctor ordered for keeping the room extremely quiet (used in apartments and condos). It's either that behind the sheetrock or double layers of rock. Is anyone familiar with or used this product?
charlie4350

Showing 2 responses by charlie4350

Thanks Albert. Actually I am putting R-13 thermal & acoustical between the studs and rocking the other side, then 18" of dead air space, then exterior wall also with the R-13. This will be the side walls, one exterior and one with stairway & hall between main house. The speaker end is 2X6 so R-19, sound stop and 1/2" sheetrock. Front of house (Cape Style) will have the 2x10's (12/12 pitch) of the roof insulated w/R-30 with about 4' to the knee wall of 5 feet high, which I also plan to insulate and use the sound stop and sheetrock. Soundin Better? chuck
Hey Albert. I've heard good things about the Owens Corning System. I haven't much looked at it because everytime I look at something the price of this room (and time) goes up. I've much considered your posts to other threads regarding a dedicated room. Perhaps when I get my gear up there. What would your opinion be of putting the Sound Stop on the ceiling & back wall with a double layer of sheetrock on the wall behind and to the sides of the speakers? The sound stop is rather soft. Thinking back to one of your comments about "flimsy construciton" perhaps a double layer of rock would better serve a solid bottom end. Maybe this would be a good balance. I'll go one way or the other - probably over thinking it, wanna be using it.

I'm doing alot of no-no's too. I have to have the recessed lights (sound leaks), but am doing the best I can. I'm using 4" airtight IC cans. Also, I've gotta have a Lutron lighting system. I know, no dimmers. I'll try and keep the runs away from my dedicated audio lines, put them on the other phase, use conduit on the run to the box and ground it on one end as suggested by Lutron. I never should have pulled out those old Audio Video Interiors Mags. I had forgotten all about fancy lighting, but ultimately think the room will be much more satisfying, though I'll never be satisfied!