Sound stage

I have heard a lot (from sale people) about sound staging, so I would like some in put from all members of this NG. >>What is an IDEAL sound stage? DEPTH( from the front of the speakers), WIDE(extented from speakers), HEIGHT(from the floor)<<. Any inputs will be Appreciated..
qroger

Showing 1 response by mili224

I'm sure that the hardware used (especially the speakers) have an effect on the soundstage, however the overall soundstage is much more dependent on the source recording ie the CD being played. For the best example of sounstaging I have ever heard try "Amused to Death" by Roger Waters. Get the version recorded with "Q-Sound" which is a special recording process which intentionally makes music and sound effects appear to come from various places in the listening room. I don't know how it's done but if your speakers are positioned properly and you sit facing them in the "sweet spot", sounds seem to come from everywhere in the room (crickets surround you, TV's are heard directly to your left, a horse trots from about 10 ft to the left of the left speaker goes through the speakers then fades off to the far right of the right speaker, some sounds even come from the ceiling of the room). It is an incredible listenig experience which will have you listening over and over again to convince yourself of what you think you heard. The point of all this is that your speakers are not as important as 1)the recording 2)positioning of the speakers and 3)your position relative to the speakers. Hope this helps. Rick M.