Sound quality of new vinyl recordings.

I would like to get back to vinyl. I have not heard any new vinyl yet but I question the sound quality and I hope someone can help as I have not yet found the answer to my question. Are new vinyl recordings from original analog source or are they just copying digital onto vinyl. If there are both out there what do I look for to tell the difference before I buy

128x128randym860

If I decide to get a TT it will not be entry level. I do not want it to be the weak point of my system. I think I can get something good in the 2 to 5k range. For those who were wondering my system is mcintosh mc462, marantz av7705(only using in 2 channel not part of theater system). And tekton moab.. let the tekton and mcintosh bashing begin. LOL.

Don’t ignore or underestimate the importance of a vinyl cleaning system THAT YOU WILL ACTUALLY USE.  It makes a tremendous difference but only if you use it.

The golden age of LPs was 1950s, early 1960s.  They took trouble and the raw material was purer.  Best is to collect these.

'Audiophile' reissues in my experience are of VERY variable quality.  Most early MoFis are excellent.  Good example of many is Beatles For Sale - Lennon is singing in the room.

Everything else is very variable.  Some are dire and I hate myself for having been taken in to spend big money on a disc a lot worse than the original.  Unfortunately apart from listening and (possibly) review, there is no way of knowing beforehand.

@clearthinker I am in not danger of spending $100 for a MoFi LP, but not even $30. Interesting to hear that that's no guarantee either, it seemed they were somehow worth the big investement. I buy $5-10 albums and about half of them are spectacular, all 60s, 70s, US or British pressings. 

@grislybutter 

We're in the same ballpark.  Three's huge quality in many old LPs from the usual suspects - Decca, Mercury, EMI.  For a long time I was paying more like £2 than £5.  Boxed sets were £1/disc and still very cheap.  I rarely pay more than £10 for a used LP.

But I would pay £50 new (but not more) for a really good reissue, and have.  That Beatles For Sale for instance. The other mid-period Beatles are very good too.  The 45rpm Crosby 'If I Could Only Remember...' (not MoFi) is one of the best pressings I have.

What we need is a used record seller who let's us listen.  Back in the 1980s/90s I used one in central London who had classical only.  He was careful what he bought and sold more records by letting me listen.  He had an OK rig in his shop.