Sound output from TV to Denon AVR-X2400H

Just got a new Sony X85J TV.  Using the HDMI ARC connections.  Volume works but I have to turn the TV volume up as high as it will go then turn the volume up on Denon to what I would consider abnormally high level (~80%) to get the sound to be what I would consider normal listening levels.  Am I mis-configured?

I also have decent external DAC hooked up to the Denon I use for streaming music. I suppose I could go optical out of TV to DAC?

128x128jbuhl

Using the HDMI ARC connections.

Probably you don't have external speakers on or PSM output turned on.

I suppose I could go optical out of TV to DAC

Probably better. 

Get into your Denon menu settings and make sure set to ARC and that everything else is where it should be. You haven't said that you were using external speakers but if you are your tv speakers should be off.

Thanks for the responses:

I switched over to optical and left the HDMI Arc cables in so I could manage the Denon.   The TV is set to external sound system.  

I got sound and am controlling the volume of the Denon with TV remote now.  Still the same issue though, having to run the volume near 80%. If I cranked the volume on that high while listening to just music it would be blasting. 

ooookay.  I went back and step through the auto configurator for Audio and explicitly told it to use Optical. Now it is what I would consider correct setting for normal listening levels.  Got dang AV is a jungle.