I’m having a hell of a time with the sound in my newly constructed sound room and have spent the past couple of months learning about acoustical engineering (4+ months in theory being proactive, the past 2 weeks reactive trying to solve specific problems). I know there are a multitude of threads, videos, and websites about the subject across the innerwebs and I have looked at many, but they start to blur together so I am hoping to get some tips on my specific situation. But first, a couple of disclaimers: 1) 5 months ago I knew nothing about acoustical engineering... I now know just enough to know that I don’t know… 2) I blew waayyyy (I mean wayyyyyyyyy) past my intended budget many many moons ago.. So please keep these two things in mind when commenting/making recommendations. I’m trying to provide the necessary information without being too verbose so apologies for the length of the post…
The main characters:
Raven Nighthawk integrated tube amp (I believe 2x20w…)
Tekton Double Impacts (yes, I put 5ft. tall speakers in a room with a 6 ft. ceiling.. no, I can’t change that fact..)
Denon dvd player for the source (it’s been around a while and was probably lower midrange 8+/- years ago…)
Supporting cast (My room…):
Dimensions are 15’1” x 10’2’x 6’3” (176.5x122x76.75) yes, the ceiling is just over 6 ft. tall as I did the decoupled thing and there was also venting in the way
carpeted floor, standard walls and ceiling (textured and painted drywall), components are on 5’x2’ table, and there is a 58 inch plasma mounted on the wall. Single seat glider/rocking chair and footrest, 5’x5’ cube bookcase, minifridge, and lamp. I’m skipping over the sound proofing measures used when building the room as I don’t think they are relevant at the moment..
1) I have a bass tone (produced by the bass guitar) that just floods the room if I have the speakers at the 2 ft. by 1ft. and toed inward placement. Ironically, moving the speakers back to only 2-4 inches from the front wall helps with this, however, I lose the lower/bottom end almost completely. From what I have read this is completely backasswards and makes no sense but here I am…
2) I am failing the “clap” test which leads to lack of clarity/intelligibility (I believe acoustical panels should address this… see below)
3) Not getting that “wow” factor that I know these speakers can produce (I had them hooked up to my main system for a few days whilst building the room and it was definitely there.. I can best describe it as lacking the immersive power that I was expecting… maybe described as loud and clear with all sounds well represented without blasting at the same time???)..
1st attempts at sound management/correction
1) Speaker placement (2ft. from front wall/1 ft. from side walls, 3in.from front wall/~1ft. from side walls, as well as a multitude of other positions)
2) Seating placement (38% from rear wall.. can’t do it from the front wall, too close..) as well as further back and forward.. Farther back seems to sound better at the moment
3) Equilateral triangle placement of seat and the speakers (ironically very close to 38% anyway…) making sure the sound shoots behind me, not directly at my ears
4) Diffusion: 5’x5’ cube bookcase with CDs and whatnot on rear wall (also a minifridge and lamp…) A few of the resources either directly stated, or at least implied diffusion can be effective this way…
Forthcoming sound management
1) I am attaining the materials to build 6 panels (2’x4’ with OC 703 already purchased) and will put 4 of them at the 1st and possibly 2nd reflection points with the other 2 as clouds at 1st reflection. The only door to the room may impact that 1st reflection point on one wall though…
2) Considering bass traps but want to see how the panels affect things first.. Regarding this, I love that deep low bass but I want it accurate and appropriate, not that singular hum sound
3) Also considering more panels (the only real space left would be the front and rear walls. Possibly more on the ceiling)
The actual questions
1) Does it seem like I am on the right track?
2) What am I missing/what should I be attending to that I am not?
3) If I end up doing bass traps, what material???
4) Any other suggestions (speaker placement, seating location, more panels, etc…)
Thank you in advance, these forums are a great resource!