Soulution 710 Amplifier and 720 Preamplifier

Friends:

I am just curious how much better these ultra-reference, ultra-expensive Swiss units are than well respected American reference products like Pass Labs, Spectral, Boulder, Clayton Audio on the SS side or VAC on the tube side.

I am driving German Physiks Carbon mkIV omnidirectionals.

I am told the Soulutions are ultra neutral, ultra-transparent,and ultra musical, sharing the finest characteristics of tubes and SS, yet high bias class AB I'm told by a dealer.

I realize all is in the ear of the beholder, but are these swiss designers using better parts, more innovative circuitry, etc to generate a level of musicality and purity a notch above the finest US brands?.

I am looking for a final purchase as I approach retirement, and am actually considering the Soulution 710 Amp and 720 Pre (an almost mind-boggling cost of $85,000 retail, less a fair discount)..yes I am most fortunate to be in this position, but I do not wish to pay $40,000 extra for 3% difference in sound quality. (I realize this is the nature of purchasing ultra-reference high end gear)

Any strong opinions about the Soulution line would be greatly appreciated (including reliability) Yes, I am planning a trip to NYC in less than 5 weeks to audition, but your thoughts would be a helpful foundation to my audition.

Thanks in advance
Brian
audiobrian

Showing 1 response by karelfd

Audiobrian, without wanting to subscribe to Fafanion's statement regarding US vs. European products, if you are willing to look at other European amps (ss) as suggested, then Tidal must be on your shortlist (even more so should you listen to vinyl as well as cd).

Given the Dollar's adventurous ride in the last few years, I do not know what these amps cost in the US these days, but Tidal Preos (pre) + Impact (stereo amp) should stay well below the 85k you quote, Preos + Impact Monoblocs will probably be in that range. The absolutely breathtaking Tidal Presencio (pre) + Impact might sadly even top that, but it would be worth finding that out with the US distributor.

Is Tidal better than Soulution, then? At that price point, you alone can decide after extensive auditioning. I will just add that given the choice - and after having heard all of the machines mentioned - my own personal choice would be Tidal, hands down, no hesitation. (Yes, I do know the super-rave Soulution reviews, so even if one surmises, that the conditions in which I heard the Soulution combo were not ideal, I would say people who try to sell us this kind of gear have a duty - no less - to create the best possible environment; there and then it didn't convince me.)

Then again, there is also Boulder, Berning (both of which I have admittedly not heard yet) et.al., so happy hunting!