SOtM dCBL-CAT8M - Is this the new reference in LAN cables?

I just came across an official announcement on SOtM’s highest grade Ethernet cable ~ dCBL-CAT8M. Interestingly, the new LAN cables sports not one but two filter blocks on each end of the cable.

The premise of trying this cable in a fully tricked out SOtM system with their sNH-10G network switch is quite tempting. It will be interesting to hear how a complete SOtM system compares to my current reference, Telegartner M12 Gold Switch with JCAT Signature GOLD M12 LAN cable and Optimo 3 Duo LPS.

There is no official review yet so I am hoping to hear from anyone currently using this cable and said improvements over dCBL-CAT7 in your digital streaming system. Where exactly did you find most improvement, before or after the Ethernet switch?

Opinions are welcome from those who believe in the importance of Network Optimization, thank you!

Happy Holidays 🎄

128x128lalitk

Hi lalitk: I always enjoy reading your posts and you've helped me agreat deal with my journey into PC/streaming audio. I use a couple of SOTM dCBL-CAT7 ethernet cables in my setup. They produce a full bodied and articulate sound, however, they are very heavy and stiff making them hard to work with. For example, when used with lightweight pieces like the Uptone Etheregen or any of the fiber optic convertors they tend pull the gear around (similar to heavy AC ccords).  Their stiffness make them difficult to use if you need to make sharp turns around your gear. I figured out to make them work in my situation, but people need to be aware of this when considering buying cables in general. I've no doubt that the new dcbl-CAT8-M sound fantastic. SOTM is a great company. Please keep us updated when you audition one. Good listening, Jeff

Running Mac with El Capitan OS using two SOtM dCBL-CAT7u, sNH-10G with sCLX-EX clock and sPS- 500. Into Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio’s Interchange Renderer / Dynamo LPS package.

Started quest back in May of this year, so the Mac (I, not being thee most computer savvy) and apps are still a work in progress amongst various other learning curves, but overall to date I’m a happy camper.

A new reference LAN cable ... lol, when will the madness end?! ;-)

@yoby 

I appreciate the feedback and I am glad to be of help. You’re spot on with your assessment on dCBL-CAT7.  I used to own this fine cable and had similar experience with my Apple router. 

@dabel 

Thanks for weighing in and it certainly feels that way, it appears to be a never ending pursuit. I should be content with what’ve put together but a recent experiment with Aurender N20 using an external master clock got my mind running wild :-) 

Your network setup is amazing, are you using pair of dCBL-CAT7u before and after the switch? I am leaning towards sNH-10G with sCLK-EX clock & master clock input (50ohm) and 7N-UPOCC internal silver wiring with EVOX capacitor - eABS 200. The sNH-10G (12V) will be powered by my existing JCAT Optimo Duo LPS. The 10 MHz master clock connector option is what I’m really excited about!!!! I own a very precise and high quality external clock that’s likely further enhance the performance of sNH-10G. 

I went ahead and ordered the dCBL-CAT8M CE. Very likely I will insert the 8M between my Apple router and sNH-10G switch. From switch, I am thinking about adding a iSO-CAT7 filter and experiment with some of my favorite LAN cables. The SOtM ‘Black’ cable, Network Acoustics ENO and JCAT Sig….should be a fun exercise.