SOTA Nova vs SME 20/2

I currently own a Sota Nova series 5 with cosmos armboard (circa 1999) with an SME V tonearm recently serviced along with internal wiring upgrade at SME in England. Cart is Benz Micro Ruby2 H. Long story short, i am seriously considering replacing the Sota with a new SME 20/2. I would keep the SME V and mount it on the 20/2 along with the Ruby2. I was also considering the SME model 10 but i do not feel this would be a significant upgrade over the Sota hence going to the 20/2 makes more sense. I have also considered the Cosmos but i am really leaning toward the SME tables now. Before the Nova i owned a Star Saphire. I've been a Sota owner for almost 20 years. I have read rave reviews from around the audio world on all 3 SME models 10-20-30. Would appreciate any thoughts or comments anyone may have. Just want to make sure i am going in the right direction. I believe i am.....Sly
smoffatt

Showing 3 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

Personally I believe your mind is made up.That being said,the latest Cosmos is in another league from past Sota products(including ALL previous Cosmos tables).The latest Sotas are manufacturered to much better tolerances than all previous models,and the newest Cosmos series III has been further updated,but Sota is SO low key that they don't bother to tout it.The SME's are wonderful tables,but the latest Cosmos competes with anything at,or way above it's price point.And the vacuum is greatly improved,where there is little competition, affording that very important feature.

Best of luck!
Hey Raul,I can't really answer for you,though I have some theories.Firstly I always use a Decca record brush just before taking the LP off the platter.I also use a soft brush(actually a facial make-up brush)to dust off any dust(which I seldom see),which may accumulate on the platter,during a listening session.Most importantly,I am lucky enough to have a dedicated listening room.All this probably helps.

BTW-Just as a fun point of interest,I went to the VTV show today,and heard my first Allaerts.Not the top model,and not a system I am familiar with,yet,and yet it was clearly a very special "musical" experience.You are correct(based on my limited experience)in calling these really fine transducers.

Also,and this was interesting,and fun,I heard a system(one I'm fairly familiar with)that consisted of Horning hybrid speakers,Tron amps,the WORLD CLASS Japanese Audio Note preamp(more expensive than any car in the parking lot),and TWO Davinci tonearms.One arm having the Myabi Ivory cartridge,and the other Davinci carrying the XV-1s.These were on a very fine table(quite massive).We compared both cartridges using the same LP tracks.Miles Davis' Kind of Blue( I own the "six Eye original").Well I was surprised as to how distinctively different both these cartridges sounded.I knew they should,but they were really different.BOTH were quite superb.The Myabi was the more romantic and warm sounding(in a good way),with fine detail and timbrel character.The Dynavector was EVERYTHING I had come to hear about it.It was the more neutral,but was "KILLER" good at digging into the recordings we played.More dynamic, but I could easily live with either.Yet to tell the truth,based on the "littlest" Allaerts,I'd have to say that my appetite is paused to hear the Allaerts "big boys"!I have a sneaky suspicion that they might be the "ones"to cherish,and pass down to the grand kids. -:)
Thought you'd like a "good read",so sorry for my length,here.

Best!
Because of the impact of CD's,and the negative advertising of competition,most vinyl lovers really have no idea how a well designed vacuum system can impact music reproduction.There are some vacuum systems that allow for the user to set vacuum pressure,which can be risky if you are inexperienced,and can risk too much pressure,which causes noise.Also it has been claimed(with no proof) that one can leach important chemical aspects from the vinyl.
In the SOTA(especially the greatly improved newer versions)this is all set by a computer chip,and the least amount of pressure is automatically selected.
I have had(as well as two friends)a SOTA vacuum system(in various models) for over two decades,without a single tick or pop,that I could blame on the vacuum system.
If digital had not become so popular,and tables still "ruled the earth",we would have heard LOADS more about the benefits of a correct vacuum system.Sorry,no amount of negative marketing could sway this inarguable fact!

I have no doubt the 20/2 is a fine table,but the Latest Cosmos IS a tour de force,both in design and sound.My last(older Cosmos)didn't even require a new belt,until I had it rebuilt(along with my pal's table),after twelve years.It operated flawlessly,yet the newest COSMOS "smoked it",in every conceivable way,when it came to performance.I had no intention of moving to the newer model,but when I heard my friend's update,last year,I was in "I'd even rob a bank,to get it" mode.This latest model designation is a powerful force,to be taken very seriously,especially at the "still" rediculously low asking price.

The 30/2,though,could be a different story!!Anything below that point is most likely going to be outperformed by the latest modded Cosmos.The problem,knowing "audio mentality",is that it's still too inexpensive.At it's current price.Hmm!!

Best!