Sophia Electric 91-01 and 91-5 300B

Hi,
I have been using a Tannoy Turnberry SE speakers for the last 1 year, I was driving it with Naim amplification and was happy with it. However I would like to add a good tube amp to drive the Tannoys. I have been listening to various amps. It is quite evident that SET based on directly heated triodes have a special magic about their presentation. However most DHT SETs are low powered, within 10 watts. Recently I read some very good things about Sophia Electric 300B amps, especially driving Tannoys. Jeff Day has given glowing review to it even replacing is reliable Leben 660P. But before I pull the trigger I am looking for some first hand comments from the community here which is expectedly more devoid of the reviewer's bias. Has anyone heard it ?

Moreover I am also looking for some views on the various models that Sophia offers, 91-01, 91-05 etc. Is it really worth going for their more expensive models like the 91-05 when the 91-01 already seems to be doing so well ? Has anyone heard the higher models ?
pani

Showing 3 responses by charles1dad

Hi Dan,
You have much more experience with Tannoys that I do. Are some models of them easier to drive than others? You and Jeff Day have fine results with your particular models,is the Turnberry in this catagory also?
Charles,
Dilly,
I haven't had the opportunity to hear the Sophia amps but your comment about Jeff Day makes sense. What good for him to give false praise to an undeserving component? He's built a very good reputation over the years, why taint it now? Dilly I'm glad the 300b SET is off to a good start with your Tannoys, I really love a good 300b amplifier . When designed and built to a high standard they make beautiful and natural music. I hope it meets your full expectations.
Regards,
Dilly,
I agree concerning components with transformers, especially amplifiers, they need ample time to burn in. I'm certain your Sophia will continue to improve as the hours accumulate. It will really begin to sing.
Regards,