Sophia 2 against a wall, with Meridian processor?

I’m working with a difficult long and narrow room that requires my speakers to be placed on a bookshelf of pushed right up against the wall, on the short side of the room. I have a pair of Wilson Audio Cubs 1 that are currently in the bookshelf and they sound really poor. I went this weekend to listen to the Wilson Duette and Sophia 2. I’m considering the Duette because of the room challenges; I listened to the Sophia 2 because I could. I was quite impressed with both speakers, but not surprisingly thought the Sophia sounded better than the Duette. I’m going to be auditioning the Duette on the Wilson stands at my home and they will be placed right up against a wall.

The dealer is recommending that I go with the Sophia 2 and a Meridian processor with room correction. He said the Sophia 2 has the same footprint as the Duette when it’s on the stand. He said the Meridian would solve any problems I have by putting the Sophia up against the wall.

In all the reviews I’ve read about the Sophia it seems that placement is pretty important and I’m leery of the idea that I’ll get full potential from the Sophia against the wall, even with the Meridian.

So what do you think? Any advice on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Ken
kwilkins

Showing 1 response by septimious211f868

If your CUB1s "sound really poor", adding Duettes or Sophias will NOT help improve the sound. The CUB Speakers sound amazing when properly set-up in the right room with the appropriate electronics. The Duette is perhaps slightly better sounding. The Sophias do not image as well as the CUBs, but do offer better sonics, mainly in the lower frequencies. I would try the front-ported 2-way Wilson WATCH surround speakers, set-up on a shelf, or wall-mounted. My second choice would be the Duettes, set-up on a shelf. Wilson floor-standing Speakers are developed and intended for use in medium/large dedicated acoustically treated rooms. To shoehorn a pair of Wilsons in a acoustically backwards room is as ridiculous as owning a Ferrari in Harlem.