Sony XA777ES plus Ack Dack?

I recently moved into a new house with a larger room for my system and have been attempting to eliminate the brightness I would associate with the room. I have bass panels, homemade room lenses, corner traps, etc that should alleviate the room anomolies, but still it seems to be edgy at times especially with CD source material not up to current standards. To me it sounds like the Ack Dack is a very anologue sounding Dac and may alleviate the brightness I'm hearing, but I'm wondering about using a $500 Dac with a $3,000 CD player. Will the Dac sound better than the Sony does by itself, or would I be better off just keeping the Sony. I do like SACD, so I would keep it irregardless. The rest of my system is B&W 801 S3, Bel Canto EV04, Melos Sha Gold Preamp, PS Audio P 300, Jena Lab Symphony & Penta Helix IC's, PS Audio Statement Biwire Sp cables and PS Audio Lab and Mini Lab cables. Lots of isolation devices also.
Finally, I never had any brightness problem in my old room, and it was only 12 x 14. The new room is 18 x 30 with higher ceilings. I'm not interested in changing anything but the digital back end. Maybe just adding the Ack Dack and using it on older, less than great sounding CD's would do the trick? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.
nodaker

Showing 1 response by sogood51

Well, the Ack Dack can be had at a cheap enough price and could be re-sold at no>( very little ) loss.

I owned the XA-777es for a good while...edgy is not something it ever was in my system, laid-back would be a better discription.

I found the Sony to be an exceptional SACD player and a good cd player. An out-board DAC of your flavor may be a good idea.

That said: Your much larger room requires much more power to reach the spl's you enjoyed in the smaller room...my finger is pointing towards your amp.

Of course, room treatments are a good thing and the room itself could be the problem (along with the new speaker placement issue). Try some toe-in/out tweaks also...sometimes a degree of tilt-back adjustment can take a little edge off also.

No amount of treatment/tweaks can help an over driven amp though so lets hope that this is not the problem.

Dave