Sony XA5400ES vs Rega Saturn:Which sounds better??

I probably ask this question before in other threads but with some variation of emphasis.. Nevertheless, I interested in upgrading my Rega Apollo. I would appreciate any advice about which player will sound better...that is more musical, with better bass and highs. I have read almost all the reviews, but I have no way of auditioning either player individually or side by side So I must draw on the experience and wisdom of other members who either owned or heard these players

I might have mentioned before, I have no interest in computer audio which I believe the Sony was partly designed to accommodate. I have seen told that the SACD capability of the Sony will enhance the sound quality of standard "red book" CDs This has to be a plus factor for the Sony Thanks, Jim
sunnyjim

Showing 3 responses by zd542

"I have seen told that the SACD capability of the Sony will enhance the sound quality of standard "red book" CDs This has to be a plus factor for the Sony Thanks, Jim "

That's not true. I don't know who told you that but SACD compatibility has nothing to do with redbook sound quality.

I also had a 9000ES. I bought it to try SACD. If you have other sources, the Sony may be a problem. When I had it in my system, it used to make all of my other components sound bad. I haven't heard the 5400, but there has to be a chance the same thing will happen. I would consider other brands and not just Sony.
"To Jafant, I was not particularly interested in getting into SACD. As I indicated I have read several times on this site that SACD can/could enhance the sound of redbook CDs, but ZD542 claims otherwise."

Its not something I claim. How can a machine that plays SACD's enhance Redbook disks? One format has nothing to do with the other. I think its possible that whoever wrote those comments meant that SACD is better than Redbook and not that it enhances regular CD's.
Sunnyjim,

"To ZD542: It is not that I don't believe you; however, did you see C-55's comment about the Sony 5400 and also Jonathan 1257. Maybe I used the wrong terminology in the phrase"....SACD....enhances the sound of redbook CDs."

Let me reiterate: My goal is buy a player that represents a marked and noticeable upgrade from the Rega Apollo in sound quality, but particularly in musicality."

I went up and read their posts again, as well as the one from you I quote above. That's something different. Now it makes more sense. A better sounding player is just a better sounding player (Our opinions may differ on what sounds better, though).

I think your search would go better for you if you gave a better focus on what you are trying to achieve in terms of sound quality. Tell us what you like and don't like about the Rega. Also, tells us the same thing about some of the other players you have heard. It wouldn't hurt if you defined musicality, as well. That term will mean different things to all of us. If you get more specific, it makes recommendations much easier.