SONY XA5400ES - Preliminary Observations

As I previously mentioned, I bought this from American TV on Audiogon (they are an authorized dealer for this product; I registered unit and store name came up on Sony list)almost on a lark, skeptical of the maniacal rave reviews but wondering whether just this once . . . .

I will be moving back to NYC later this year and am thinking about how I can reduce number of components to save space. I compared the SONY (on RBCD only) to my CEC TL-1X transport (modded by RAM), with balanced Stealth Sextet digicable to balanced input on my trusty Dodson 218 DAC. EPS 2S PC on transport; Valhalla PC on Dodson, both run through an Audience AR6 conditioner. The transport-cable-DAC combo-PC combos totals some $20K, when new. I am running Valhalla IC's from Sony to my Wyetech Opal Pre (the Sony sounds awful with Stealth Indras; have no idea why)and amusing a LessLoss Sig PC (which I like a lot).

The ravers raved about 500 hrs of burn-in for Sony to sound its best. I don't know if that's true, but it has improved considerably over the 150 hrs or so I have burned it in. It started off way too dark, vague and murky -- almost unlistenable -- but has loosened up, detail has improved, vocals have become clearer and more natural and bass has tightened somewhat, but still is a bit loose and muddy. The preliminary verdict (pending another 100-150 hrs of burn-in: this is an outstanding CDP that fights way way above its weight and which I enjoy listening to and could be very happy with -- and it does not suffer terribly in comparo with my usual setup. My usual combo sounds more natural and realistic, with better detail and clarity, and tighter if not deeper bass than the Sony. Highs are airier and cleaner. The improvement, however, is not jarring; it is, however, definitely noticeable. The Sony is darker, with vocals a bit huskier and strings much warmer, perhaps too warm at this point. But as I said, if I did not switch to my usual combo, I would enjoy the Sony immensely on its own merits. It dors have a smooth, organic presentation and if it sins it is on the side of warmth rather than clinical digital detail. For what the Sony costs, anyone who was considering spending up to $5K or so on a CDP should listen to this first. I only have one SACD and will try that soon, but really cannot comment on its merits as an SACD player.

Will check in again in about a week or so to tell if there is anything to add. I would have no qualms about admitting it's as good as my combo, but remain skeptical it will ever reach those rarefied heights.

Sorry for being so long-winded, but this has been a fascinating exercise for a long-time audiophile and anyway, I am a lawyer, so what would you expect?

Neal
nglazer

Showing 1 response by rwbadley

Thanks for your thoughts on this cdp.

I also recently picked up one of these units. My previous two cdp that are both less than state of the art/ Sony x7esd from 1989 (top of the line Sony in it's day), the other a Sony sacd changer from about 2000- the 333es unit. I have known for years these were in need of upgrade, and finally found it time to do so.

Major flaws in my old units were a lack of inner detail and 'life. Especially when compared to playing the vinyl rig. This created a constant feeling of... after a few minutes of cd play tossing on a vinyl album instead, as I 'just couldn't stand it'.

While the new Sony has only been installed with 24 hours of playback I can already get hints of what it is bringing to the system. It does have an ability to show the intent and nature of the 'music' that really inspires me to listen to cd playback again.

I'll allow it to continue it's burn in for the next few weeks- but for now I am quite impressed with the 5400es. Thanks to all the folks that reviewed and spoke well of this unit, I feel the purchase has so far been well worth it.

Cheers,

RW