Sony XA5400ES DAC Chip

Does anyone know which DAC chip (e.g., BB, Wolfson, etc.) this new CDP uses for RBCD and SACD? Can't find it in literature and seems to be a big mystery. Also, how is jitter reduction handled?

Ordered one of these almost on a lark after reading rave reviews. Find it hard to believe any component this inexpensive (paid ca. $1150 including shipping and insurance, with full Sony mfrs waranty) can be nearly as good as some of the reviews/comments say it is -- or can hold a candle to my modded CEC TL-1X/Dodson 218 with latest software upgrade combo, but I would love to be proven wrong. And if it is even close it would be quite an accomplishment.

Thx.

Neal
nglazer

Showing 5 responses by nglazer

For the incurably curious, the DAC chip is a Burr-Brown DSD 1796.

And Fishing 1716, you are right about burn in. After about 40 hrs it has gone from thin and trebly to the opposite extreme. I will give it another couple of days before installing in main rig.

I have calculated that if one bought a new component or IC's, SC's or PC's every six months until a system was complete, one would need to live until the age of 136 until everything was burned in. By which time we would have replaced the system 10 times over.

What is wrong with us? Why have no psychological studies been performed on audiophiles? Are there any special meds for us?

Neal
Mr. tennis,

I did buy from American Theater. Kevin there assured me it carried full US warranty and was shipped from his retail store in Philadelphia. The unit came with a Warranty registration card.
Blindjim,

Not if you just let it run on repeat for 2 weeks. Then you are there. I am doing a week and then will try it out in Main Rig.

I will look into this warranty issue more deeply. Have not registered product yet but I will, and see what happens. I have Kevin's representations re US warranty in writing. He was very responsive and courteous in the sales process and the CDP came when he said it would. One of my partners bought an NAD amp from him and had a good experience.

Neal
I carry no brief for American Theater but do not like to see a responsible vendor maligned, and can only repeat that Kevin was as courteous and responsive as could be; the Sony CDP was delivered when promised; it was brand new and in perfect condition; and when I registered the unit on Sony's website AT came up on the popup menu of retailers. My partner and friend bought a NAD amplifier from AT a few years ago and had an equally satisfying experience. Enough said.

Neal