Sony SCD-XA9000. Comments, Opinions?

I want to replace my Denon DV-2200 with which I'm not entirely happy. It lacks focus; especially compared with analog. It's also a little brash in the high end. I'd rather not spend extra buckxs on a universal player, but the Esoteric DV-50 is looking interesting. There's a very favorable review of the Sony in last December's Stereophile, but I'd like to hear some candid reports from the trenches. My system has an ARC SP16 preamp, Musical Fidelity A3CR amp and B&W N803 speakers. I'm open to any and all suggestions under $6500. Thanks.
pscialli

Showing 1 response by linnlp12

Have one and am very pleased with it. This will probably be the last CD player I will purchase. While I have some SACD units, I purchased it mainly for the quality of the redbook section. I also have a Denon 2900 which I used for video use and some audio use. That sounds very good too. Both units are good, but they have a different sound. For most of my audio, I prefer the Sony unit. I find the Denon a bit more brighter presentation. This doesnt mean the unit is bright, it is just that I find the Sony more natural. I can and do listen to it for hours at a time when I am in the mood for CD's (analog preferred). I listen through ML CLSIIZ's, other electrostatics and horns. These speakers are brutal if the electronics are not up to par. The Sony is wonderful through these speakers. One awesome CD player I did have was a Denon 900 cheapie. Wonderful for redbook but the transport kept breaking. I gave up on it. No problems at all with my sony after a year of ownership.