Sony SCD XA5400ES tube rolling?

Just got my player back from Modwright,fully modded with the ultimate upgrade. Wow! incredible difference over the stock player even cold out of the box.

Now the question, anyone have experiences with tube rolling with this player? The stock Russian Tung Sol 6SN7s are supposedly fine, but I decided to order some KEN RAD WWII military (VT231)tubes and see if there is a big difference in sound. In the mean time, awaiting their arrival... comments are welcome.
128x128dfk0

Showing 2 responses by rhyno

get the umbilical if you have not.

very much liked the mullard gz34 dan rec's for the P/S. and enjoy the sophia electric 6sn7s as well.

stock tubes are ok, but hold the unit back. but the umbilical is a big win IMO. much more dynamic and propulsive.
you guys who are not willing to do a little more work to optimize gear, go spend $15k on a digital player where they do that work for you. your choice.

i just wrote up the MW piece on positive feedback, and i specifically address user preferences like this. for those willing to 'mod the modder', it pays off, and gets you further, for less $$, than the alternative.