Sony SCD XA5400ES tube rolling?

Just got my player back from Modwright,fully modded with the ultimate upgrade. Wow! incredible difference over the stock player even cold out of the box.

Now the question, anyone have experiences with tube rolling with this player? The stock Russian Tung Sol 6SN7s are supposedly fine, but I decided to order some KEN RAD WWII military (VT231)tubes and see if there is a big difference in sound. In the mean time, awaiting their arrival... comments are welcome.
128x128dfk0

Showing 2 responses by rfogel8

Just my 2 cents but $200 for a pair of Chinese 6SN7's seems a bit much even if the Sophia's do sound very good. There's still plenty of NOS available and most for less money.

Life expectancy would also be a concern for me. In addition to owning numerous versions of NOS 6SN7's, I still have several NOS Telefunken E88CC(6922) and ECC83(12AX7) tubes that have been used in five CAT preamps over more than a dozen years. Those tubes still test like new. The Sovtek's and Electro Harmonix that came with my first CAT didn't last 1500 hours. Yah, I know, we're talking 6SN7's but I'm guessing any good NOS will last waaay longer than anything produced today. Some of those old 6SN7's were rated for 10,000 hours!
Tubegroover, I agree with everything you said. Yep, Andy Bowman would be a good source and his prices are reasonable. Matching too is important and you want low noise.

There are many sources for the more common and inexpensive 60's & 70's RCA's, Sylvania's, Tungsol's and GE's and most of them sound much better than the current stuff. Besides Andy, there are quite a few other legitimate tube dealers who offer these tubes with matching available.

Much of my collection has been purchased on Ebay from sellers who have lots of mostly 100% positive feedback and who show test results, AND guarantee those test results or your money back. I also have a Hickok tester so I'm able to test everything I buy. If you can't test your own, then as I said, there are many legitimate dealers you can turn to.