Sony SCD-XA5400ES output: hdmi or analog?

I've decided to replace my aging wadia 850 by a sony 5400es. As the wadia could be directly connected to an amplifier, in my case a ML336, i didn't use a pre-amplifier. Has anybody had any listening experience comparing the analog output of the Sony to a high quality line stage vs. it's HDMI-output to an A/V processor?
hitv

Showing 2 responses by nandric

Hi Hitv, I sold my Marantz 11S with the intention to buy the 11 S2 but then I got the Stereophile revieuw of the Sony 5400 es by Kal Rubinson.So I bouhgt the Sony instead.
No regrets;an fantastic CD,SACD. Better then my Marantz. But I am using only the (balanced) analog uitput to my Emitter Exclusive.The Sony looks (much) cheaper then the Marantz but sounds much better.I am not interested in HDMI so I am sorry about that.
Regards,
Dear Hitv, No idea if Kr4 is actualy Kal Rubinson so I must
be very careful;he is a kind of athority for me and I admire the guy for his eloquence as well as his integrity.
But if you are interested primary in SACD (as I am) then the Sony is the best choice I know of. To give you some idea of my 'gear': Kuzma S.R.,Triplanar VII with Benz Ruby3;Reed L 2A with Phase Tech P-3 G;Basis Exclusive pre,
Emitter Exclusive amp. and Usher BE-20.
Regards,