Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd

Showing 4 responses by pubul57

Does the release of this player by SONY suggest that there still a chance that SACD will survive? Thrive?
I bought the EMM CDSA-SE with no concern or hope that SACD would survive, the Redbook play was better to my ears than my previous tranport/DAC combo. But now that I have had a chance to hear some good SACD versions of my favourite jazz music through Analogue Productions, it sure would be nice if the music companies come to their senses and rejuveante the whole SACD venture, especially with recordings that start with DSD from the recording forward. It is exciting to think that SONY has come out iwth a first rate player, with SACD for only $1,500 ($1,100 street?).
why do the most expensive cd players and dac (Esoteric, dcs. EMM, etc.) in the world not use tubes? I love tubes, have many, but for some reason the best players I have heard don't seem ti use them - and yes, I do like them.