Sony SCD-C555ES or Sony SCD-c222ES

Has anyone owned both of these and if so, how do you compare the sound quality on both SACD and CD?

Thanks
whatjd
Mark:

I have a 2001 C555ES and I found that going through the "Classification by the Layer Configuration" routine for Super Audio CD + CD on page 13 of the user's manual did away with the mechanical thumping/grinding noise. Might have been coincidence, dump luck, or any combination of the two. In case you do not have the manual, here is what to do:

1. During stop mode, press MENU
2. Turn "/AMS/" to until "Layer Select" appears in the display
3. Press "/AMS/" (The current default layer appears).
4. Turn "/AMS/" to select CD or SACD, then push "/AMS/" again. (The default layer setting is SACD).

I went through this in the first place, because my unit was selecting the CD layer over the SACD layer. After I did this, the grinding noise stopped.

Worth a try. Regards, Rich
I have both and I prefer the C55ES. But you should know that some early 555ES' (like mine) have issues with the transport that causes them to occassionally make a mechanical thumping noise when playing SACD's. Sony service (Bristol, PA) was unable to fix this problem for me, either.

So if you get a 555ES try to get one with a later build date (mine was built in 2001).

Mark
I've owned both units.
The 555 is clearly superior in all aspects.
The 222 is decent,but its far from a 555