Sony SCD-1 or SCD-XA9000ES for stereo

I have a DVP-S9000ES that I like very much, but it has stopped playing SACDs. It may just need cleaning or alignment, and I'll check into that.

My thinking has been to buy a separate CD/SACD player for stereo, and in the future replace my S9000ES with a Blue-Ray or HD-DVD player for DVDs.

My question is whether to buy a SCD-1 or the newer XA-9000ES. Have any of you had an opportunity to compare the two. I am interested only in stereo -- I have no interest in multi-cable surround audio.

Thanks in advance for your advice/opinions.

db
donbellphd

Showing 2 responses by slowhand

I bought a SCD-1 from someone and it developed the same problem. After sending it to Sony for repair, it has never had another problem. This unit sounds wonderful. I have no desire to trade my SCD-1. It does take a little longer to read a disc than most players, but that just gives me time to get back to my seat and get comfortable.
My SCD-1 has some (but not all) of the Allan Wright VSE mods. It makes a big difference in the sound of an already great player. The nice thing about Allans mods is that even after the mods are installed, you can compare the sound with mods and stock, as the player can be used either way (although I don't know why anyone would want to use the stock version).