Sony SACD XA777ES V Apollo, Marantz 8003 HELP

I have a Sony SACD XA 777ES which I use for two channel CD listening. It is hooked to an Exposure 2010S with Cardas Neutral Reference ICs and Analysis Plus Oval 9 speaker cables. It is a beautiful machine and sounds great BUT I sometimes almost feel it lacks musciality or for lack of a better word "soul". I have started to use the optional filter setting as it gives a more vivid sound. it does not really do anything wrong. I has thinking about trying a Marantz 8001 or 8003, Rega Apollo, Or older Sonic frontier SFCD 1. Am I going backwards here or am I wrong? Anyone with experience withg these chime in. Thanks,keith
128x128geph0007

Showing 2 responses by stereo5

I own a Marantz 8001 and am not impressed with it. I use it for sacd only. It does not impress me on redbook cd.
I compared the redbook portion of the sa8001 to a Jolida jd100a tube cd player. The Jolida player walks all over the Marantz. I also have a Pioneer Elite pd-65 cd player (the one with the stable platter and Legatto link processor) and although it can sound a bit dull by todays standards, I still like it better than the Marantz.