Sony's XA777ES CD: competitive sound or obsolete?

I have seen at least a dozen of the Sony XA777ES CD players for sale on AG over the last year. Build quality is outstanding; but, is the player just another outdated piece of technology from the last decade???. (It was originally issued in 2001 at a retail of $3000)

I am sure somebody somewhere has got a few mods for this tank, but is/was the standard player worth the money, let alone upgrades, or is it a ticking time bomb of service problems?? Supposedly, this model has exceptional sound quality on both red book CD's and SACD ( which can't be many available)

Personally, I don't give a shit about its title or track identification feature or other boutique accessory features Will appreciate any feedback about the current value of the player. Thanks, Jim
sunnyjim

Showing 1 response by dopogue

I'd say obsolete, especially as CD playback is concerned (pretty easy to beat).

As to the "ticking time bomb" issue, my XA777ES started refusing to read discs after about 5-6 years. I sent it to Sony Laredo and it came back okay, but in the meantime I discovered what a mediocre CD player it was and didn't have enough SACDs to warrant keeping it. As I recall, mine went for around $900 and this was quite a few years ago.

The $3K MSRP is not a true indication of its street price, which was around $2K (what mine cost new).