Sony PS-X9

I'm close to making a purchase of mentioned TT.  Price is right at $13K.  Price wise, could I buy a better TT ??

Thanks in advance, 

Jose
jg2077
The La Platine has one design flaw (at least).  The unit is top heavy and rests on spongy feet.  Since the platter is well balanced, this isn't an awful problem, but platter inertia coupled with the biasing weight of the tonearm and its built on mount can cause the whole shebang to tilt.  Some owners modified theirs with more solid footers.  The Granito version has a heavier base, which would shift the center of gravity down lower toward the mounting surface. I personally don't like the long thread drive and the concept of mounting the motor separately on a distant pedestal of its own.  This could cause all sorts of havoc with the drive system.
I have owned many tables Including a PS-X60 & PS-X70, Kenwood L07-D. I’m refurbing a Technics SL-1310 Mk2 right now. I’ve never heard the PS-X9, so it may not be fair of me to say. With the much better power supply and heavier platter and Isolation throughout, I would assume that it is more refined that the very nice PS-X70.
In every case, on my old direct drive tables and I’ve had several, I always tend to dampen them throughout, make sure all caps are replaced in the power supply and tend to dampen when I can around the supply to help isolate vibration/resonance from the rest of the table, in one case, I put heat shrink dampening on the tonearm with good results.

I’ve never spend more than maybe 5 or 600 dollars on the machine before my work.
Of course, I could be totally wrong because I haven’t sat in front of a PS-X9, but my instincts are that you could snag several top of the line consumer tables of that era and with some work, have a fine piece of gear for peanuts.
I suspect that the PS-X70 had the same family flavor and with some work, it is really a nice sounding table.
Right now there are a couple of Sansui SR-929 floating around, I’ve not played with it, but it looks like it would also perform admirably.
Bottom line, what I am saying is that you can most likely grab 4 or 5 of the old legends of audio and end up with a VERY satisfying table and if careful in your purchase, you could easily move the others that you don’t keep without any loss. 
Check out the beautiful Sansui SR-929 on ebay for $1200 obo.  

@lewm 
I personally don't like the long thread drive and the concept of mounting the motor separately on a distant pedestal of its own. This could cause all sorts of havoc with the drive system.

Huh??
No one I know mounts the motor separately on a distant pedestal of its own. Not that it would matter anyway. You see real owners know that La Platine's platter system is unique, in that it provides for acceleration and braking to deal with the records behavior. The only platter system I know of that does this. Name another. The motor itself has very little influence and provides mere pulses of power through the string.
Speed changes take a long time.
For this reason no one on this thread should consider DJ'ing with La Platine.

Back when I used to frequent local audio stores, which is to say back when such stores even existed in the DC area, that's how La Platine was set up for demonstration. The motor was situated at least 3-4 feet away from the platter, on its own separate pedestal. I know one local owner who also abides by that custom.  No, La Platine would not be suitable for DJ work, because it probably takes nearly a minute to come up to speed and stabilize. 

I don't know how the motor knows when to deliver "only pulses of power", since there is no feedback between the motor and platter.  (Of course, one could do that with aftermarket add-ons like the Phoenix Engineering stuff.)  But the string impressed me as "slippy" against the blank stainless steel or aluminum peripheral surface of the platter. in any case.  Thus, feedback between platter speed and motor would be imprecise, requiring frequent corrective action. Like many of this type of belt drive, platter mass and inertia are counted upon to keep speed constant. And I'm not saying this method is a complete failure.  It obviously has its adherents. I guess you like it, and I don't.  Please don't be offended.  
ah. there is that dealer "setup" reference again, and a lot of "I don't know how" .
why not just make a commitment.... find out for yourself - and share info as a real owner. Why post info outside your wheelhouse.
btw - Playing a record is no reason for anyone to offence to anything.
Posting wrong info is well just wrong.

@ OP Jose - trust you found the information you were looking for ?
Cheers