Sony Legacy SACD Players - SCD-1, 777ES, XA-777ES

I am currently in the newbie market for a very good-to-great SACD player and was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on the differences between these three heralded Sony SACD legacy players, all obsolete now:

1. Sony SCD-1 - original two channel from 2000, balanced inputs
2. Sony 777ES - two channel from 2001, w/o balanced inputs
3. Sony XA-777ES - multi-channel player

I was wondering not only about their sonic differences, but if there were any reliability or usability issues between the three players. From what I have seen here on Agon, these can be had on the used market for less than $2,200. Has anyone heard all three of these?

Also, is there anything on the market today that competes with these legacy players, for less money new? Opinions? Thanks.
doonie

Showing 3 responses by czbbcl

The SCD-1 is a classic player and is holding its value very well and is an excellent player to boot. I have one and enjoy it very much. I do not think there are any reliability issues with any of the Sony players you mention. The SCD-1 is the most desirable and will be the one that retains its value the best as it was a statement piece. Nothing competes at their price level. Just my thoughts!
Guys

We need to be more respectful of peoples opinions and that is what this person was asking for. I stand by my original comment that nothing competes with the SCD-1 at this price level. As a stock machine it is very good on both redbook and SACD; modded it is excellent on both. I would suggest that Donnie do a search on this site and he will garner more information than he needs to make an INTELLIGENT decision. I wish you all well and HAPPY LISTENING.

Chuck