Sony DVP9000ES as a Redbook Transport?

Is anyone using a stock DVP90000ES as a CD Transport primarily for Redbook playback? Just curious on its performance and characteristics with an outboard DAC.

Thanks,

Chris
128x128the_kid

Showing 1 response by reubent

Chris,

I did try one a couple of years ago without much success. At the time I had a couple of well regarded DACs and a couple of good CD players. Both the Theta Miles CD player and the Cary CD-308 used as a transport sounded better than the Sony DVP-9000ES used as a transport.

The Sony just didn't produce a good soundstage and it didn't produce as much detail.

Interestingly, many people say all transports sound the same. It just isn't true if the rest of your system is capable of letting you heard the differences. Today I stuck a buddy's Meridian 508.24 into my second system to replace the Sony DVP-NS775 that I'm currently using as a transport in that system. The Meridan was much better. It produced better detail and a more musical presentation.

It doesn't make sense that transports sound different, but they do.....

Enjoy,

TIC

BTW, YMMV if the rest of your system doesn't have the resolution to allow you to hear the difference.