Sony DVP-S9000ES vs DVP-NS999ES

I am in the midst of deciding whether to purchase a used DVP-S9000ES (now discontinued) or go with its replacement, the DVP-NS999ES. The latter has multichannel SACD playback which is of absolutely no interest to me (DVD video playback is the only consideration). So the question is: does the newer DVP-NS999ES offer any real improvement in video performance? The latest issue of TPV states that it offers "a host of new image-processing technologies", the most interesting of which is Precision Cinema Progressive. Isn't this circuit also part of the DVP-S9000ES? I have also considered the Pioneer Elite DVD players. Opinions please- thanks, Linc.
linkster

Showing 3 responses by tsrart

Linkster --

Can't give you a comparison, but I own the 9000ES, and I can tell you that, on the new "Attack of the Clones" DVD, the progressive scan picture on my 51" Sony digital widescreen set looked better than I recall the 35mm film looking in the theater . . . .
Ed --

Please note that I did not say that "480p looks better than film" . . . I said that "Attack of the Clones" looked better to me on DVD than it did in the theater -- not at all the same thing. I DO know what good film looks like -- "Attack of the Clones" wasn't it, theatrically, which is why the DVD looks better.

Could it have been the theater I saw it in? Sure, it could have -- it was one of the myriad nameless Carmike cinemas dotting the landscape outside DC. But that's where I saw it, and my 9000ES/KP51HW40 combo looked better, which is what I was saying to begin with. Check out the latest issues of SGTHT to hear some reviewers who ALSO felt that some recent movies looked better on DVD than in the theater . . . .
Ed --

Actually, I even heard from some people that the digital projection wasn't that hot either, because some of the new digital cinemas weren't set up as well as they should be.

As for the original trilogy . . . . amen to that! I keep my LD player around pretty much exclusively for the purpose of watching the first trilogy. I even looked into some of the Asian import DVDs, but they're just rips from the laserdiscs. The only positive things about holding off on the release is that we're all spared from buying nine different editions as they do a basic release, then a special edition release, then a Collector's Edition release, then . . . . ;-0)

I like the look of film better, too, but for SW-type films I think digital is the way to go -- the computer effects look better in digital. The only problem is that sometimes they look TOO good and are distinctly identifiable as CG compared to the other elements in the shot. Sigh . . . guess we can't have everything yet. ;-0)

Pat