Sony DVP-S9000ES Availability???

I want to pose an interesting question to anyone who has more knowledge about this player than I seem to have. I know that I am the proud owner of a Pioneer Elite DV-37, and I have owned my DV-37 for almost a year and a half now. I have bought first and foremost, to be a DVD Player. But then, I have hooked it up to my audio system (which is located in a separate room, and is not connected up to the home theater system (which is located in my bedroom)), and that's where it has been ever since. Now that I want to get me a player that has wonderful build quality, has wonderful sound quality, and has SACD playback on top of that. And to me, the Sony DVP-S9000ES fits that bill. I was looking forward to getting one, but then, I have went to my audio dealer today to talk with my sales person (whom I haven't seen in months because his wife was out on disability) about possibly getting one around September or so. And he told me today that the Sony DVP-S9000ES is discontinued. And surely, as much as I want to believe him, surely, that cannot be the case, could it??? Because I haven't heard anything from Sony as far as coming out with a new ES model DVD/CD/SACD Player is concerned. So now, I ask you all. Has Sony REALLY discontinued the DVP-S9000ES DVD/CD/SACD Player??? And if so, do any of you know of a replacement that may be coming out to replace it?? And if so, will it be a two channel model like the DVP-S9000ES???? Or will it be a multi-channel model like their other players as well as their flagship XA-777ES???

Thanks in advance for your replies.

--Charles--
128x128chaskelljr2001

Showing 1 response by zug

All I know is I'm glad I got the 9000ES for about $1100 a few years ago -- with the 5 year warranty and all the goodies it's definitely WORTH buying a NEW one in this case (don't think the warranty is transferrable?). (It's usually WORTH getting a good warranty on a transport, with moving parts a breakdown is always possible -- never buy an old transport!!). My story with this is that I did all the experiments when I first got it, except as a DVD player. When I was discouraged with the 9000 for all audio except SACD, I finally tried it for DVD -- fantastic! That alone justified the purchase. But one day browsing the web, I noticed that Wright was doing mods to the 9000ES. I was curious again about it's capabilities, and since my system changed a bit since my first tests, I tried again. As stand-alone CD player, strike one (good but fairly sluggish and 2-dimens.) As transport into my MSB Link, strike 2 (better pace and dynamics but still....). As transport now with the Audio Alchemy Pro into the Link Dac, home run! Beautiful. Much better lower mids and slightly better bass than my old Proceed PDT3 transport. How could it be? Not sure why my first listens long ago didn't catch this, but now I saw at Audiorewie and here, all the comments about the 9000 as transport, and it does seem to be true. Sometimes a big corp like Sony will let a gem through the dross, and they did. My only complaint is that it clicks on and off repeatedly when you eject and then insert a CD, and I wish someone knew a way around this, so that's what I'm researching right now.