Sony DVP S9000 ES vs. Sony DVP NS900V

Does anyone have experience with the new NS900V in comparison to the 9000ES? The NS900V does more things, but does it do them as well as the 9000ES?

I am currently interested in two-channel playback of SACD, but would also like a good transport for all disc formats. I have an outboard Theta processor for non-SACD material. I do not have any video associated with this system.

The rest of my system includes Martin-Logan, Pass, Linn, etc.

Thank you for your comments.
gofaststang

Showing 2 responses by gofaststang

It is good to hear that others are using the 9000ES as a SACD player and as a transport. Thanks for the response. Maybe someone will read this who can comment on the NS900V.

I also agree that the lack of ES designation may be a key. The NS900V also has what will be useless frills for most of us, like the built-in AC3 and DTS decoders. That's just fluff that did not get spent on improving circuit quality, etc.

Another question is whether SACD multi-channel discs will play SACD two channel, or does it play CD "quality" two channel audio?
laurensw: Thank you for your comments. Your observations on the 900v as a better transport than the 9000ES is exactly what I am looking for, although a little surprising. I would expect the 9000ES to be better due to overall build quality.

Since my outboard processor cannot do SACD, how do they compare on SACD material? Does the 900v have newer converters that improve sound? Again, I would expect the 9000ES to have a better analog section, but that may not be the case.