Sony DVP S9000 ES vs. Sony DVP NS900V

Does anyone have experience with the new NS900V in comparison to the 9000ES? The NS900V does more things, but does it do them as well as the 9000ES?

I am currently interested in two-channel playback of SACD, but would also like a good transport for all disc formats. I have an outboard Theta processor for non-SACD material. I do not have any video associated with this system.

The rest of my system includes Martin-Logan, Pass, Linn, etc.

Thank you for your comments.
gofaststang

Showing 4 responses by bmpnyc

Gstang, I too have been wondering about the same thing. I am mainly interested in gaining CD/R, CD/RW and 5 channel SACD capability, but I don't want to sacrifice quality in any area, as my 9000ES is excellent. Maybe the lack of the "ES" designation is a hint?
I'm 99.9% sure that multi-channel SACD players also play 2 channel. Wish Sony would let people know if they're planning a replacement for the 9000ES that brings it up to date with no Genesis chip chroma problems, 5 channel SACD,CD-R, CD-RW and dare I say it... MP3 capability, or heaven forbid DVD-A as well! By the way, 5 channel SACD is something of a revelation when done properly. I have never heard a more realistic recreation of an interior space, such as with Chesky's Bucky Pizzarelli 5 channel SACD.
Tbadder, all DVD players that use a Genesis chipset display a blurring on certain material that is described as the red chroma problem. Some are better than others. If you have a high resolution TV or projector, you can see this occasionally, but many people have never noticed it. Try going to the "Secrets of Home Theater" website for mucho details, you can begin here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/dvd-benchmark-introduction-9-2000.html
Laurens, that is the best feedback yet regarding the 900V, thanks. Being big on quality two channel playback using internal DAC's the 9000ES gives sound that compares to CD players above $2000, so although the 900v has many features I relly want, I hope to find out that Sony plans to update the 9000ES, but who knows?