Sony DVP S3000 skips

I have a Sony 3000 that I bought new years ago when it first came out. I have been having problems for about a year now that it will occasionaly skip. sometimes just a bit and other times it might skip a whole chapter. The discs do not skip on my kids $85 machine. So I don't believe it is the disc. I am not sure if maybe it is a first generation machine that it is having difficulty reading the newer discs. Has anyone ever used these disc cleaners that you insert in the player? Are they safe? Or should I take the top off and clean it manually? Anyone with a 3000 have the same problems? Thanks
scottht

Showing 1 response by mrderrick

I do not have the same player, but have had skipping problems. If you feel up to it, remove the housing covering the transport. You can gently wipe the laser lens with a soft dry cotton swab. This will remove any dust that might be resting on the lens. Next look at the rails that the reader rides on. Clean all the grease off of them with a cotton swab and alcohol. You will have to manually slide the reader to clean the entire rail. Take a swab and lightly apply white lithium grease to the rails. Lightly means that you apply it and wipe all excess off so that it looks shiney. This is what my "manufacturer" told me to try and it worked. You may wish to contact Sony first, as they may have other instructions. Vibration is not an issue is it?