Sony BDP-S2000ES Blue-ray question

Can anyone who is familiar with this model tell me if this player will output the highest resolution soundtracks found on some Blue-ray discs (Dolby True HD, DTS-HD) via the analog 5.1 outputs? The description on the Sony website says that the player will decode these soundtracks, but it also seems to indicate it will only pass the "decoded" signal via the digital HDMI out.. If true, it kinda' defeats the purpose of decoding in the player, doesn't it? -jz
john_z

Showing 1 response by ckoffend

So based on Bigtee response, you only get extended resolution audio if sent via analog not via the HDMI as the HDMI does not have the capacity to carry both an HD video signal and a HD audio signal together.

So, the use of the 5.1 analog outputs will give you the best results for audio, unless you can output the HD audio digitally to a good pre/pro (presumably with better DACs than the Sony).

If you are taking the HDMI signal to your pre/pro, are you programming the pre/pro for video only from the HDMI or audio as well? I would not suggest using the HDMI for audio.

Personally, I would suggest taking the audio signal output separately from the HDMI cable for best audio results. Typically, a good pre/pro will perform best receiving the audio signal in a digital format as it will usually have better chips than the DVD player. Of course this depends on the player and the pre/pro.