Sony 9000es v. Phillips 963SA - anyone compared?

OK, the Sony is the internet darling, we know that. Infinitely modifiable, very well built, good stock performance, especially at the going rates.

The new Phillips at a retail of $500, with switchable 24/192 upsampling of redbook, and capability of playing CD-R, as well as SACD, is getting some good buzz.
Sony typically has excellent reliability, but POOR service experiences abound (I've had a few).
Phillips, onthe other hand, at least with the 1000 SACD, had some questionable reliability, and I've not heard anythign re: service experiences.

SO,

anyone compared the Redbook and SACD performance of these machines?

Should I sell my 9000ES???

thanks!
gthirteen

Showing 1 response by gofaststang

I have a Sony 9000ES and it has played every DVD-A I have tried. It is probably playing the DVD-V layer. I think the DVD-V layer is 24/96.

I'm still a little confused about the difference between DVD-V and DVD-A, but I think DVD-A can play back a sampling rate of 192, whereas DVD-V can only do 96. However, many DVD-A layers seem to be 96, which means they are the same as the DVD-V layer.

So the Sony lets me enjoy both formats with one player, while the market sorts out which will survive.

If anyone can help clarify or correct my understanding of DVD discs, your comments are welcome.