Sony 9000es v. Phillips 963SA - anyone compared?

OK, the Sony is the internet darling, we know that. Infinitely modifiable, very well built, good stock performance, especially at the going rates.

The new Phillips at a retail of $500, with switchable 24/192 upsampling of redbook, and capability of playing CD-R, as well as SACD, is getting some good buzz.
Sony typically has excellent reliability, but POOR service experiences abound (I've had a few).
Phillips, onthe other hand, at least with the 1000 SACD, had some questionable reliability, and I've not heard anythign re: service experiences.

SO,

anyone compared the Redbook and SACD performance of these machines?

Should I sell my 9000ES???

thanks!
gthirteen

Showing 1 response by bluefin

Solowiski,

I audit several Arcam CD players after reading some of your previous posts. Unfortunately, to my ears, S9000ES playing SACD is better than Arcam's redbook. Arcam's redbook did not beat SACD's dynamics, soundstage, and resolution IMO. If you have right gears, S9000ES' SACD is not too bright like its red book.

Back to the topic, to my eyes, 963SA has a better video color. For the look, the silver faceplate of 963SA is a little "cheap" looking in short distance. For SACD playing, the setup in the dealer for 963SA is not up to the level of my listening to S900ES. So, I would say S9000ES is probably better but remember 963SA is multi-channel and read CD-R.... ( I did own one Philip before, to be honest, the built quality I would give it to SONY, if you ever open a Philip player and a SONY S9000ES.)