Sony 777ES vs Sony 7100 ES Receiver upgrade?

I currently own the monster Sony 777ES receiver. It weighs 47 pounds. I got it in 2001 priced at $1,500 MSRP. I have thouroughly enjoyed the sound. I have recently upgraded my B&W 603's to the new 703 model. These new speakers need more than the 120W X 5.1 my current receiver delivers.

My question is to anyone that knows the quality of the new ES line. I am interested in the new 7100ES. IT has 170W X7.1. Although the weight is about 15 lighter at 32 pounds. Should I be concerned with the lighter weight? Will the higher W power make a difference? I do not know if I should sell 777ES and buy 7100ES. I have found good deals on net for 7100ES and am tempted, but need feedback from anyone that can. Thanks
jwatusi

Showing 1 response by sulloj

Keep the 777ES (its bulletproof) and just get an amp to drive your speakers. I own two older ES receivers and wouldn't trade em for anything. There will always be "Sony bashers" but they don't know the quality put into the ES line which is Sony's "Lexus". If you've got the upgrade bug and can't shake it, let me know if you want to sell the 777. Cheers!