Sony 777 as a transport?

Does anyone have any experience using the Sony 777 SACD or XA 777 SACD models as a transport? I am contemplating buying a new transport to go with my Audio Logic 2400 tube dac. I am looking for something musical that would complement the nice midrange of the AL and add a touch of air to the presentation. I would also be interested in playing around with SACD, but I am mostly interested at this point in CD playback. I am also considering used stand alone transports from CEC (TL2 or TL1), Altis CDTIII, Muse Model 8, Theta Jade, or Audiomeca Mephisto. Any thoughts on either of these would be appreciated.

Thanks!
drv

Showing 1 response by platsolos

I am in a similar sort of situation. I am trying to get a transport and have been looking at a lot of them out there and I think I settled on one. It is the Northstar 192 transport. I cannot find anyone out there that has heard it, so I am taking a big jump into the unknown. What I do know is it had a very favorable review, albeit a review is a review. And it has a very good transport mechanism, some say the best u can buy.....philips CD Pro 2, it is the same one used in the audio research CD3, EMC1, Audio Aero capitole and probably others.

For what it's worth, check out the review.....

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/northstarcd_e.html

I think I am taking the plunge....got my fingers crossed.