Sonus Faber Stradivari amp: X600.5 or X1000.5 ?

Hello,

I want to know which power amp is better for my new speakers (Sonus Faber Stradivari) combined with ARC REF3. Ive just listened a few days ago the X350.5 and i loved it so much. Right now i have a pair of MC-501 but i'm a little dissapointed of them when i try to listen to some complex music like rock and others. Is X1000.5 a good choice for it or X600.5? The X1000.5 have 2000 wats in 4ohms?
Anyone listened to both of them. Let me know.

Thanks.
johnb30

Showing 5 responses by rtn1

I recall the break-in was not gradual and progressive. It all happened in 2 days, after several days of little to no change.

I don't think it will take 600 hours. Maybe 200.
I suspect the XA160.5 will have more than enough power, and is superior to the X600.5 (which I owned). The extra class A power provides the ability to play music more cleanly at a high volume. The remarkable thing about extra class A is the control at climaxes, with preservation of the soundstage. If the X600.5 can play louder, it will sound more harsh and congested, and the soundstage will collapse.

You may need to be open to try different preamps.
Extreme levels! That's not safe.

If you listen at a lower level, your ears will open after a few minutes. You will actually hear more of the music and deeper into the recording.

The X.5 series is a relatively good value, and can provide brute force. But as Onemug said, you are paying for quantity rather than quality. The XA.5 does the power thing quite well, while also providing finesse and beauty. It comes down to priorities.
Congrats. I still remember that the magic began after 5 days. Seemed rather stable after 7 days of continuous play. Big, open, effortless is what you'll hear with the break-in. They probably sound closed and slightly raw right now. Good, but not quite right.

To this day, I cannot tell a difference from powering out of standby vs. the end of the day of listening. This is suprising because my system is ultra sensitive to the slightest pertubation. The X600.5 needed 4-6 hours of power before they started to congeal.